Rising temperatures and lasting nights. This can only mean one thing: spring is here! And that means the barbecue season has officially opened. We all invite our friends around to enjoy a fizzy drink in our back garden. But what about a nibble? Hosting a barbecue might seem like a big fuzz, but really any level of griller can be a chef behind a barbecue! Have a look at these three recipes for the true carnivore, the pescatarian and the vegetarian. Easy and delicious. No one will know this is only your first time behind the grill!
Spicy Poblano Burger with Avocado mayonnaise
A spicy beef burger with a spicy twist and fresh avocado mayonnaise. Serves 4.
What do you need?
- 700 gram beef mince
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1tsp freshly grinded black pepper
- 2 Poblano peppers
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- ½ white onion, grinded
- 1 peeled avocado
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 can of tomato cubes
- 1 clove of garliv
- Lime juice & fresh coriander
- Mash the avocado and mix it with the mayonnaise. Add in the grinded onion, tomato cubes, coriander, lime juice and garlic. Good to know: you can store the avocado mayonnaise for 8 hours in the fridge!
- Prepare the barbecue on direct high heat. As soon as the temperature reaches its max, you grill the Poblano peppers for 10 minutes with a closed lid. Take the peppers off once the skin is completely blackened and let them cool off. Once cooled off, remove the peel and the seeds and cut the peppers into small cubes.
- On to the burgers! Mix the beef mince with the cubes of pepper, salt and black pepper. Divide this into 4 equal burgers of about 1 inch thick.
- Grill the burgers for about 8 minutes above direct heat with a closed lid. Do not forget to flip the burgers now and then so they do not stick to the grill. Add in the buns for a minute to get them toasted.
- Place your burgers on the buns, spread out the avocado mayonnaise and enjoy!
Salmon fillet with Shiitake mushrooms and lemon butter
Freshly marinated salmon fillet with wild mushrooms. Serves 4.
This is what you need:
- 4 Salmon fillets with skin (175 grams each)
- 120 grams unsalted butter
- 4 tsp minced thyme
- 2 tsp lemon juice and lemon zest
- 1 tsp of sea salt and black pepper
- 350 grams of mixed wild mushrooms with Shiitake
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 Lemon in slices
- 3 sp olive oil
- Mix the butter, thyme, lemon juice and zest together with some salt and pepper to taste. Store this at room temperature.
- Heat up your barbecue until 290°C.
- Place the salmon fillets with the skin down on a piece of oven paper. Coat the salmon with 1 spoon of olive oil, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Mix the wild mushrooms with 2 spoons of olive oil and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the mushrooms with a closed lid until brown. This will take about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat 2 spoons of the lemon butter on a baking tray. Add the shallots and the wild mushrooms and gently mix it all together until warm. Set aside.
- Grill the fish above direct high heat until it has reached the desired readiness.
- Place one fillet on each place with a nice amount of wild mushrooms. Divide the rest of your lemon butter amongst the fillets and finish it with a slice of lemon. Enjoy!
Zucchini skewers with mozzarella and spinach
Skewers with zucchini wrapped in mozzarella, spinach and a walnut oil dressing.
What do you need?
- 600 gram yellow zucchini
- 100 gram baby spinach
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 200 gram Mozzarella balls
- White balsamic vinegar, olive oil, walnut oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the zucchini into slices of about half an inch thick. Rub them in with olive oil.
- Remove the stems from the baby spinach and set aside.
- Crush the garlic and mix it with 2 spoons of white balsamic vinegar and 3 spoons of walnut oil. This will be your dressing.
- Heat the barbecue to a temperature of 200°C.
- Grill the sliced zucchini with a closed lid until you see grill marks. Let them cool off.
- Heat up a baking tray and broil the dressing. Add in the baby spinach until they shrink. Set aside and let it cool off.
- Take a slice of zucchini, place a spoon of the spinach and some mozzarella on top of it and roll it up. Add about 4 rolls to each skewer.
- Quickly grill the skewers until warm and let the mozzarella melt a bit. Enjoy!
Get ready for the barbecue seasons
In need of new barbecue or good tools? Have a look in our webshop and find everything you need for a lovely summer evening. Just starting out behind the BBQ? Come visit our garden centre. We would love to give you advice on how to become the next master griller!